Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Obama takes the oath of office, slips of the tongue and the place of adverbs

Yesterday, Obama took the oath of office. He had to repeat it after the Chief Justice. See previous post.

The 35-word oath is explicitly prescribed in the Constitution. It reads:
"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
But Chief Justice John Roberts' administration of the presidential oath to Barack Obama was far from smooth.

But here's exactly what was said yesterday:

ROBERTS: Are you prepared to take the oath, Senator?
OBAMA: I am.
ROBERTS: I, Barack Hussein Obama…
OBAMA: I, Barack…
ROBERTS: … do solemnly swear…
OBAMA: I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear…
ROBERTS: … that I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully
OBAMA: … that I will execute…
ROBERTS: … faithfully the office of president of the United States…
OBAMA: … the office of president of the United States faithfully
ROBERTS: … and will to the best of my ability…
OBAMA: … and will to the best of my ability…
ROBERTS: … preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
OBAMA: … preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
ROBERTS: So help you God?
OBAMA: So help me God.
ROBERTS: Congratulations, Mr. President.

Who stumbled? The flub was Roberts'.
During the oath, Chief Justice Roberts switched some words up. ... When Roberts erred, one child shouted: "That's not right!"
Their momentary disfluency came down to a problem of adverbial placement. In giving the oath, Roberts misplaced the word "faithfully," at which point Obama paused quizzically. Roberts then corrected himself, but Obama repeated the words as Roberts initially said them.
There was one other minor slip-up on Roberts' part: in his first run-through of the embedded clause, he got a preposition wrong, saying "I will execute the office of president 'to' the United States," rather than 'of '. A less noticeable speech error, but nonetheless the type of thing that happens when one speaks from memory without written prompts, as Roberts apparently did.
Several constitutional lawyers said President Obama should, just to be safe, retake the oath of office that was flubbed by Chief Justice John Roberts.


Thanks to Language Log
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1039#more-1039
and the San Francisco Chronicles
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/20/MNAF15E20I.DTL&feed=rss.news

No comments: